System Integration Definition
IT system integration is a combination of at least two software elements into a single system to ensure the proper flow of data between them. In other words, it is a connection (communication path) built between two software solutions. Integrations between platforms can be out-of-the-box, meaning they are ready to use and do not require any custom code to work or custom, which means developers have to code the integration themselves.
Currently, companies use a variety of IT systems for specific activities, for example, administration, data collection, or payments. To optimize the processes in the company, the systems need to be changed. When connected, they can collaborate and share the same data. Such a combination offers plenty more advantages than if the systems function separately. There are two most popular system integration types:
- API integration – system integrations can be quickly implemented with the use of API. Also, given the increasing popularity of API, plenty of businesses offer ready integrations to offer cross-functionality. To learn how to integrate Voucherify with your application, go here.
- Third-party integrations – this kind of integration offers a ready connection between two platforms. As such, third-party integrations do not require involvement from developers. Go here to see a list of our third-party technology partners.
What are the best practices for successful integration?
It is crucial to properly plan activities and implement previously agreed steps one after another when integrating two IT systems:
- API documentation analysis – reading the documentation allows you to see how the API works, what protocols it uses, and what possibilities it has.
- Checking sandbox environment – each platform should provide the so-called sandbox for testing, i.e. a place where developers can easily test the integration.
- Be ready for testing – before the integration is released, it should undergo thorough testing to eliminate possible errors. This will help you to spot irregularities quickly.