Time after time we’ve been asked to suggest an offline coupon tracking solution. Until now, the usual response was to point to our Android, iOS, and Xamarin SDKs and instruct customers on how to wire them with our coupon API. Today, we’re happy to announce the Voucherify mobile app. Actually, two apps! For both platforms: Android and iOS - and both come entirely for free!
By adding the app to your e-commerce stack, you can enable coupon redemption at offline points of sale and analyze promo activity on the go. Read on to learn how you can leverage offline coupons for your business without spending tons of money on IT infrastructure.
The primary goal of the app is to allow you to validate and track coupons offline. The good thing is that you can also use 2 coupon formats:
- QR codes
- Character-only codes
The second, no less important, part of the app gives you the ability to monitor successful and failed redemptions, so you can get an instant overview of your promotion activity everywhere.
Now, let’s take a look at how it works under the hood.
How it works
Here’s an overview of a typical offline coupon redemption process:
- A customer visits your store and shows his or her code. A shop assistant opens the app (connected to the Internet) and either scans or types the coupon code. The app requests the promo code verification from the Voucherify server.
- The app receives information as to whether the code is valid and what kind of discount it carries.
- The shop assistant applies the discount to an order in your POS system.
The information about the redemption is stored in your Voucherify account, so you can access it with the dashboard:
There are a couple of practical use cases for this setup, I will get back to them soon, but for now let’s make sure you understand what elements are necessary to configure an offline redemption point.
It all starts with signing up for a Voucherify account, once that’s done you should:
- Enable “client-side redemption” in the administrator panel - it’s disabled by default because we put your security first.
- Download the Android or iOS app on the smartphones used in-store (they’re totally free, no in-app purchases at all).
- Open the app and log in to your account.
- Because Voucherify allows for multiple coupon projects, you need to select the one you want to handle coupons from (defaults to “Main Project”).
- Create a coupon campaign in Voucherify (QR code option possible).
- Start redeeming the coupons through either the ‘Scan QR code’ or ‘Redeem voucher’ option.
That’s it when it comes to theory. Let’s see how you can use it in practice.
We’d like to share the list of mobile coupon use cases we encountered when talking to our customers.
You can note that these scenarios cover seemingly completely different scenarios. This comes from the fact that Voucherify coupon API is very flexible and therefore used successfully by both fast-growing startups and massive enterprises. The common denominator though is that it enables any company to precisely adapt coupon, voucher, promo code or gift card infrastructure to their business requirements. And then to scale it as the project grows.
- Marketing channel comparison - a marketplace’s app promotes daily special deals from restaurants in a particular neighborhood. To let restaurant managers know how many customers have been attracted by the app - and ultimately prove its ROI - it uses unique discount codes that are redeemed at the checkout.
- Gift card redemption - a small business sells gift cards through our Shopify integration. Then, at the checkouts, shops can use the mobile app to charge customers if they have a positive balance.
- Employee expense monitoring - one of the SV rising stars wants to control outside restaurant expenses on meals for employees; all spending is compensated by the company. The process comes down to 3 stages:
- Voucher definition - every employee gets a unique voucher code which is limited to let’s say 3 dinners and the total amount of an order to $60.
- Offline redemption - restaurants install the Voucherify mobile app and validate employees’ codes.
- Monitoring - all expenses are stored in Voucherify, so a facility manager sees the number of redemptions per campaign, restaurant, and employee; and eventually settles expenses with the restaurants.
With the mobile app, tapping into offline coupon strategies just got easier. No heavy infrastructure is needed. Sign up for Voucherify, download the app, and then configure it to work with your account - that’s it!
If you’re interested in learning how Voucherify could help out with your promotional strategy, let us know through the live chat you can see in the bottom right corner.
Developers: if you want to know the ins and outs of the app, drop us a line and we’ll share the source code.